Thank you, thank you, thank you! We have met our goal! If you pledged to help out, you will receive an email or pm very soon! Thank you again! With this pledge drive, we will be able to fund the room for an entire year!
Camp is almost over, I hope you had a great productive month and got your goals accomplished. More on this will be going up later this week!
That, however, is not the point of this post.
Any community grows and changes over time and the mods and I have felt a change needing to take place and we've exhausted options and finally settled on one we feel works for everyone.
If you have not heard http:www.meebo.com is shutting down mid July. We are aware that several users access our chats via meebo and are unable to download an AIM client or any client to their computer to be able to access sprints that way.
Another issue we've had, in the past, are the problem with trolls in chats. Thankfully that hasn't been as much of an issue with camp Nano, but it does happen a LOT during November Nano as well as occasionally during the rest of the year. We want sprints to be productive for all and trolls do not help that.
A third issue is the lack of AIM chats with mobile devices. In the past, some dedicated mods have ran sprints in private IMs with people who can access AIM through their smartphone/tablet, but not chats that way. They've had to run sprints through IMs as well as through the room at the same time, making it harder and more complex than need be.
Finally, after much discussion, we landed on an option that we feel will work for all involved. There is a website called chatzy that is NON-JAVA, but web based chat. It seems like a great service. Currently, we have a room set up that we've tested a few times: http://us4.chatzy.com/23467212803311
and it's great and free, but with a few limitations.
It only allows 10 people max and there are a few limitations with customization and modding problems.
However the advantages of having a paid room are amazing:
What do I get with a Premium Room?
A Premium Room gives the best possible chat experience for all visitors:
- Unlimited number of visitors. In free rooms, the number of non-subscribers is limited to 10. In Premium Rooms, there is no limit to the number of people in the room.
- Private messages. If you allow it under Room Properties, visitors can send/receive unlimited private messages to you and/or other visitors.
- No advertisement. A clean chat without banners or promotions.
- Faster updates and no timeouts. Messages appear faster and you (the administrator) decides when/whether visitors should be sent away automatically.
- Complete chat history. All visitors can access the entire chat history (not just the last 10 KB). The administrator can even recall deleted contents.
- Moderation option. You can promote visitors to room moderators.
- Custom room URL. The room administrator can choose a permanent room address like: chatzy.com/YourName.
- Hosting on your site. If you want, you can embed the room on your own website or blog in your own design and without Chatzy logos ("white-labeled"). Tell me more
- Inline images. Unless you disallow it, all room visitors can post inline internet images.
In the future, we may add more premium features at no extra charge.
In addition, there is a mobile site that can be accessed via any smart phone or tablet with all the benefits of an online site. So you could write by hand or without the distraction of the internet on the computer, as long as your phone/tablet can connect to the web!
At this point, we are going to make the switch over to chatzy. There is a cost involved. If we want to use our finances the most frugally, paying by the year is the most frugal way to go. At this point, for a year, we need around 65 more dollars. That's where we are coming to you, our community.
We're asking, if you're able, to pitch in a few dollars to help out with the cost of this room. We wont ask for any money again for a year and if in a year we feel this wasn't worth it we simply will do something else. What we'd like to do is take 'pledges' below in the comments and once we reach 65 dollars we'll stop taking pledges and contact all the donors with information on where to submit the money (via a paypal account which will be 100%
used towards this room).
If you want details on the cost for each month:
$10.90 or $0.78 a day
$16.90 or only $0.56 a day
$39.90 or only $0.44 a day12 months
$129 or only $0.35 a day
We also want your input. we know change is not easy and we have been using AIM for a very, very long time, so some of you may not enjoy this change. It wasn't something we decided over night. We also know that chatzy might not be a right fit for everyone and we apologize to that. We are trying to meet the NEEDS of all of our uses the best way we can.
The comments to this post are going to be screened. There will be a section for pledges. Please put the dollar (US dollar) amount you'd be willing to donate and an email address we can contact you that you check frequently.
There will also be another section for feedback which we will listen to and answer any questions that are brought up.
Again, we thank this community and know that you mean a lot to us. We're not naive or foolish enough to think that we can have a community without you, so for that we thank you.
UPDATE: CURRENTLY WE NEED $13.10